Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, this position is responsible for directing the
Tribal government’s accounting practices and financial planning, management and reporting in
coordination with the Chief Executive Officer and the Tribal Accountant. Responsible for the
enforcement of, and compliance with, Fiscal Management, Budget and Appropriations, Grants
Management and Procurement. Monitors the financial management and accounting practices
of tribal entities operating within the Tribal government structure. Develops and fosters
relationships with government agencies, banking and lending institutions, investment managers,
other Tribes, insurers, the financial community and Tribal members by performing the following
duties personally or through subordinates.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Chief Executive Officer , Tribal Council and Tribal management with development and updating of long range strategic plans for the Tribe.
- Maintain and regularly update a five-year revenue forecast.
- Responsible for Tribal investment management.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer and Tribal Council to make recommendations involving debt placement.
- Determine the need for professional and technical assistance required for effective fiscal and financial management. Direct search for required expertise.
- Oversee the finances of all governmental operations, departments and programs.
- Bring matters of importance to the Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Council and prepare recommendations as required.
- Assist Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Council and Tribal Management with business planning and coordinate functions, operations and financing between Tribal business entities and Tribal government divisions and departments.
- Work closely with the Tribal Accountant to ensure compliance with all fiscal matters.
- Work with Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Council, Tribal Accountant and Tribal Management staff in the development of appropriate employee compensation plans, and Fringe Benefit packages.
- Work with Chief Executive Officer, Tribal Council, Tribal Accountant and Tribal Management staff on the Tribe’s Annual Budget Process.
- Responsible for the oversight of Tribal financial reporting and management systems and for monitoring compliance with budget.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual indirect cost proposal in coordination with the Tribal Accountant for review and approval by Tribal Council. Conducts negotiations along with the Tribal Accountant for acceptable indirect rate for each fiscal year.
- Ensure compliance with Tribal, Local, State and Federal regulations that may have an impact on the Tribe, including financial reporting, grant accounting, contracts, purchasing, land use, environmental, etc.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES continued.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and managing of Fiscal Ordinance and Financial Procedures Manual.
- Assist in the revision or preparation of new Tribal Ordinances and Resolutions.
- Oversee the coordination and facilitation of the annual audits of certain Tribal entities.
- Work with Tribal Accountant on Tribal risk management activities.
- Create and maintain working relationships with banks, lending institutions, consultants, auditors and other governmental agencies.
- Oversee the procurement function to ensure compliance with Tribal procurement policy and any requirements specific to funding agencies.
- Must be able to interact with Tribal members and the general public in a courteous, professional, and efficient manner.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Maintain a good attendance record.
- Other duties as directed by management.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to walk, talk, hear, use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENVIRONMENT
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- 40 hours per week.
- Generally Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm with occasional evening and weekend work.
Tribal Administrative Office
1245 Fulton Avenue
Coos Bay, Oregon 97420